Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
At Whitegrove, the Foundation Stage Unit follows the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework (EYFS) which sets out the learning and development stages for children as they grow from birth to five years. In following the EYFS framework at Whitegrove, we aim to provide a broad, balanced, differentiated curriculum which addresses the children's social, emotional, physical, intellectual, moral and cultural development within a safe, secure, stimulating environment.Our curriculum enables the child to learn and develop skills, attitudes and understanding in seven areas of learning.
The Prime Areas are:
- Personal, Emotional and Social Development (PSED)
- Communication and Language (CL)
- Physical development
The Specific Areas are:
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Art and Design
In planning for and guiding the children, we reflect on the different ways that they learn through The Characteristics of Effective Learning.
The Characteristics of Effective Learning:
- Playing and exploring - children investigate and experience things and 'have a go’;
- Active learning - children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties, and enjoy achievements;
- Creating and thinking critically - children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas, and develop strategies for doing things.
At the end of the EYFS each child will be assessed against 17 key areas called the Early Learning Goals (ELG).